Saturday, September 1, 2007

Cleome Seeds

Annuals, Cleome, Spider Flower, Cleome Seeds, Spider Flower seeds, gardening seedsOn my main gardening blog I created a post that describes what I look for in a Cleome seed pod to know when it is time to harvest seeds. If you haven't collected seeds from Cleomes before read When I collect Cleome Seeds.

Cleome seeds are small and dark in color. The first time I examined the seeds I couldn't help but notice how they resemble a coma and the mottled texture that covers them. Unripe seeds are white or off yellow in color-I'm not sure how much the color affects seed germination. When I've come across a light colored seed I've just discarded them and haven't tried to germinate them.

If you look at the image above you may notice that the color of the seed pod is still green while the seeds are ripe. Don't rely on a change in color or dryness in the seed pod to let you know when they're ready to collect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is the 'hand grenade' looking seed in the garden seeds banner thing?
I have a lot of those plants, I love them I just don't know what they're called -I just call them morning glory type things.

MrBrownThumb said...

Sorry for the extremely late reply but the grenade looking seed is a Four 0 clock seed.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Visit My Other Blogs